30 August 2014

Competition time with TSC

Hello everyone! Today I wanted to share something special with you. The Stamping Chef is turning 2 years old, and Tamara is hosting a competition to celebrate the milestone and come up with a new look for her brand. So what do you have to do? 

1. Purchase the competition image for the reduced price of $2
2. colour her up any way you like
3. Take a high quality photo or scan your creation WITHOUT a watermark and send to: info@thestampingchef.com

The winner gets their choice of class from Alyce from Kit and Clowder. Such an awesome prize to win!

Let me start off by saying that this is an extremely difficult image to colour! I wasn't sure how to tackle all that hair with my usual technique, so I tried out a stippled effect for an ultra-curly look. Here it is:


I was not thrilled with the results (and I dropped my Y35 on the page at the last minute - typical), so I decided to give it another go. And just because I like to make life difficult, I went for no-lines :D. For the first time ever I have taken some progress shots to show you. Sorry for the poor quality. These were just quick snaps from my phone, but hopefully you can get an idea of my process. Here we go:

Step 1: Section the hair

Step 2: Add cast shadows and start to add texture

Step 3: Almost half-way

Step 4: More sections!

Step 5: Finished hair :)

Step 6: Completed skin. 

It was tricky not to pull the darker colours from the hair into the skin. Usually I would colour the skin first, but since the hair was such a big task (and there was a good chance of me making a mistake) I wanted to finish it first.

Step 7: The finished image!
Hair - E49/37/35/31
Skin - E13/11/21/00/000, R20
Black - C9/7/5/3/1
Red - C5, R89/46/27/24/22

If you would like to learn this technique of colouring hair, make sure you check out the classes over at Kit and Clowder

If you like these progress photos please leave a comment and let me know and I will try to do more in the future. Thanks for visiting!

1 comment:

  1. Wow fantastic both ways, I have to say, I prefer the straighter look but overall unbelievably beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Great to hear from you!